Amarillo Area Court Appointed Special Advocate (AACASA) FACTS
- In the United States 1,056 children die every year at the parents or caregivers expense.
- Three children will die today from abuse or neglect.
- 18,000 children a year are disabled permanently, (51 children a day).
- 142,000 are seriously injured, (403 children a day).
- Every three minutes a child is reported abused or neglected in Texas.
- Child Protective Services investigated 99,929 reports of child abuse and neglect in Texas in 1999.
- In 1998, there were 134 confirmed abuse or neglect cases involving one or more children in Potter and Randall Counties.
- 2,315 CASA volunteers served 11,413 of these children in Texas in 2000.
- AACASA currently has over 90 volunteers.
- AACASA is currently assigned over 100 cases serving over 200 children.
While AACASA had court appointed involvement with over 400 children in 2007, over 1,000 children throughout the seven counties of the Texas Panhandle did not have a court appointed advocate to walk with them through the system.
According to Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (TDFPS) - 2007 Data Records, the Amarillo area currently has one of the largest reported percentages of child abuse cases in Texas.
The state average of incidents per 1,000 children was 11.2. the average in AACASA counties was: Potter 27.1, Swisher 24.1, Hutchinson 12.5, Randall 13.9, Carson 9.0, Armstrong 5.6, and Briscoe 4.7.
Statistics from the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services, The Children's Defense Funds, U.S. Advisory Board on Child Abuse and Neglect. Additional information obtained from the AACASA Web page.